In demand skills for Company Secretaries
Both the permanent and interim job markets for company secretaries have been picking up in recent months and some key skills come up time after time in our clients’ wish-lists. Some seem to be the bread and butter for some cosec and governance professionals, while others require specialist knowledge:
- Attending and minuting Board and Committee meetings – Previous experience of attending and minuting meetings is one of the most common requirements on job specifications, specifically for company secretarial and governance positions with financial services or the not-for-profit sector. As well as being able to understand the jargon within certain sectors, employers are seeking candidates who are confident to communicate at Board level and have the gravitas to liaise with Senior Management, while also being effective minute-takers with excellent attention to detail.
- CoSec IT skills – Familiarity with entity management systems and/or Board portals is usually required in all roles above trainee level. The software we come across more often are: Diligent Entities (formerly Blueprint OneWorld) and Boardbooks, GEMS and Nasdaq’s Boardvantage.
- Corporate transactions and technical skills – A more specialist skillset within our niche, many clients including professional services firms and large listed or private groups prefer candidates who can demonstrate previous experience with corporate transactions and technical skills including, but not limited to: mergers and acquisitions, entity restructurings, re-organisations and simplification projects etc.
- Share plans – Another niche skill, which is in demand mainly at smaller listed companies (mainly FTSE-250s or smaller) where there isn’t a dedicated share plans team, is previous experience in share plans administration. This could include managing UK or global share plans, liaising with shareholders and/or managing the relationship with the registrar.
- ESG – Environmental, Social and Governance factors are currently part of the agenda for many Boards and therefore Company Secretaries. Experience around ESG, such as reporting, policy creation, advising on best practice etc. it becoming more and more valuable.
If you are considering your career options and would like to gain more experience in these areas or are looking to recruit for a company secretarial or governance professional who possesses these skills, then please reach out to a member of the team on 020 3589 0333 or email@example.com